Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sour Puss

Now, I feel that it has been a little while since I have complained about something of a cultural nature (the expense of Switzerland doesn't count. I don't know why, it just doesn't), so here I go.

What is up with the Sour Puss faces here? ?!! I mean seriously, would it kill these people to smile? Just a little one?

It was one thing in Paris, where they just kind of pretend you're not there, but the German-Swiss folks here, my god, what is going on?

They make eye contact, and then they give this look like you've just kicked their dog or thrown a flaming bag of poop at their door. They just look like the most miserable people on the planet. But they don't actually seem to be miserable when it comes down to it.

I see them, two seconds after giving me death-ray eyes, laughing with their families, and the waitresses at the various restaurants we've been to, once they had looked at us as though we were two turds with hats on, became super pleasant and even smiled a few times.

It's obviously just not a cultural thing here to smile when you pass people on the street. I know that I certainly didn't when I was living in Brooklyn. In cities, you just have to have your fight-face on, but here, in a little sweet village, where everybody's on vacation, why not a little smile of acknowledgement as you pass each other?

I've already gotten used to the fact that a line isn't really a line, it's just a bunch of people pushing past each other, but the sour expressions really are starting to piss me off. There's something really angry and judgmental in the expression, at least that's how it feels to me.

I even got this nasty look from a freakin' eight year old girl on a train, and i was so sick of it I almost shouted: "You want a piece of me??!! Come on!!!", because I was pretty sure I could take her.

Maybe we overdo it in the States. I know I sometimes do, with the smiling and the being super nice to everybody, sometimes I can feel like I'm running for Miss Congeniality. It can be a lot of effort. I imagine when people pass me here and I smile at them, they think I'm insane, or else already a little drunk.

I think there should be some middle ground. It doesn't have to be Miss America smiles, but something a little less "I could kill you right now" would be nice.

5 comments:

  1. They sound like the C-Smiths from work! Play this to get through

    http://social.zune.net/bingplayer/?v=1.0#mid=A7C52301-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933&title=This%20Charming%20Man%20(2008%20Remastered%20Version)&artist=The%20Smiths&album=The%20Sound%20Of%20The%20Smiths%20(Deluxe%20Edition)%20(Remastered)&artistid=5A150000-0600-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933&albumid=59C52301-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933&dto=1&preview=0&explicit=0&lyrics=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Fmusic%2Flyrics%2Fdetail%3Fq%3DThe%2BSmiths%2BThis%2BCharming%2BMan%2B(2008%2BRemastered%2BVersion)%26songID%3DA7C52301-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933%26lyricsID%3DT%2B15094567%26albumID%3D59C52301-0100-11DB-89CA-0019B92A3933%26form%3DDTPMUZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool song! Steve had a big laugh over C-Smiths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jocelyn, I lived in Zurich for a year and encountered the same thing. I was always smiling and wanting to have a conversation with people on the train, or tram, etc. but that never happened. Not until I learned to speak German and Swiss-German and made friends did the Swiss become friendly. They are very loyal friends too, I have many Swiss friends still from over 12 years ago from my time there. Don't take the stink eye personally, they are just curious as to who you are and why you are there. Enjoy your time in my most favorite European country! I absolutely love Switzerland!! There's no place like it on this earth! Zurich is my 2nd home!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't know you spoke German and Swiss-German-impressive!! I think you're right about not taking it personally, the looks. It doesn't seem to mean anything to them, I think they just don't make a point of changing their expressions they way we do.

    And we have definitely found that people do warm up and become quite friendly. I just have to remember not to get offended by the lack of smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think the northern Swiss eg Schaffhausen are just a bunch of depressed sour pusses. Never are they laughing or happy - only sour puss or loud ... not happy loud but probably drunk loud or screaming. All you have to do is go to Germany and people are generally friendly and nice. If you told me such a horrid climate and horrid people existed I would never believe it.
    Parisians are friendly if not terribly happy. Not the Swiss.

    ReplyDelete