Friday, January 1, 2010

Wine for Starting Off with a Bang

Well, what do you know, it's a bonus post? I had to write another one right away because my 'possibility' seed has immediately grown roots: a spot opened up today in the wine course I mentioned, the one that ends with testing to become a Certified Sommelier. So I have taken that spot and I start on Monday! This coming Monday!

Eleven weeks of wine; studying wine basics and exploring the wines of the world. Add to that beer, spirits and cigars, and you have a very full glass, ladies and gentlemen! What's more, I'm excited, I'm really looking forward to it! We will taste 6-8 wines a day. A day!! Which means I will have to write more posts each week so I can share all these wines with you.

Now, I was going to share the wine I'm about to mention with you next week, but since I will have so many wines to choose from as of next week, I decided to put this one forward today. I have to be honest with you here, I haven't even tasted this wine yet, but the timing is just too perfect for me not to mention it now. I know I really should open the bottle and taste it now, but honestly, I'm a little hung over. It is New Year's Day after all. So as soon as I can, I will try it. And if you taste it before I do, let me know what you think.

I bought this 2008 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc at Trader Joe's for three reasons: 1) I love Sauvignon Blanc; 2) It cost $6.99 a bottle; 3) The Winery is called King Shag.

King Shag!! How great is that? Being married to an Englishman I will tell you, it's pretty great. The ad for this wine practically writes itself: "King Shag...start your year off with a bang!"

If you don't know what a 'shag' is, ask your nearest English person. Just be careful...and make sure you don't ask them if they'd like to shag you. Unless, of course, you really really like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment