Monday, April 5, 2010

Wine for What Comes Next

So what now?

I can't really believe it myself, but Steve has left his job, and we will be packing up our apartment, putting everything in storage, and heading abroad for some major travel and wine exploration. Even as I write it it seems impossible. What are we doing??!! Are we crazy?! We love San Francisco, so why would we leave?!

The best I can come up with is that Steve and I both have what I think is called Wanderlust. We move. We are movers. Maybe that's just our thing. For me, my moves took me from Boston to Chicago, then Los Angeles, Brooklyn, Charlotte and now San Francisco. Steve's took him all over England, then to New York and Brooklyn where we met, then Charlotte and San Francisco.

Our plan is definitely to return to San Francisco, or at least the Bay Area, we just are going to have this little hiatus first. You can ask why, but really, you can also ask why not? At this point in our lives there is really no reason not to do something like this.

In some ways, it comes down to the old "life is short" cliche, but there is truth to it. There are so many places in the world I would like to see, and especially now that I have begun exploring the world of wine, there are so many regions to visit, and wines to taste that are not even available in the US.

We have chosen, at least thus far, not to have children, and a big part of that decision was based in our desire to still be able to be selfish and enjoy each other's company and use the money we are not spending on kids to travel and explore. So if we are not going to do that, then what is the point?

Plus right now, we are healthy, mobile, and relatively young. While we are lucky enough to be able to afford to go abroad for a nice chunk of time, we are going to grab the chance. We could wait, but why? Life is short, and you never know what happens. People get hurt, or sick, or worse, and I do not want to look back in 10 years and say "why didn't we take that trip when we had the chance?".

So in June...off we go...

1 comment: