Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wine for Getting Lost in Translation

Apropos of nothing, I came upon something fabulous the other day: one of the hotels I am looking into in the Mosel wine region of Germany has a website without English translation. Not wanting to unwittingly agree to stay in the room affectionately called "the dung heap" or something like that, I decided to seek out a translation of the room descriptions.

I chose the google translation website, which is actually pretty fantastic. On it, you can choose the languages you want to translate from and to, and then copy a whole chunk of text which it will immediately and very literally translate.

So it was that I discovered that, in this particular hotel, their "...small, elegant theme rooms smell upon entering after the summer". And why should they not, really? All those feet, those unwashed armpits, those hot summer days? I'm just thrilled that they're willing to be so honest about it.

My only question now, of course, is how long does it take for the smell to accumulate? Is it only upon entering after the summer? Does that mean that if I enter during the summer, the small, elegant theme room will not yet smell? How big is this non-smelly window? Could they describe for me the nature of the after-summer smell that will clearly assault me upon entering?

The mind reels...

On another note, I have started writing occasional tasting notes for an online wine sales site called The Wine Spies. On Tuesday, May 4th, they will be selling the Rodney Strong 2006 Reserve Petite Sirah. The tasting notes on the day of the sale will have been written by me, and the wine will be on sale for one day only at a significant price reduction.

Check the website out-they offer some great deals on some tasty wines! www.thewinespies.com

No comments:

Post a Comment