Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wine for Clearing the First Hurdle

Well I did it-I passed the Introductory test!

Tomorrow will be the Certified Exam. We will arrive at 8am, and at 8:20 we will have a blind tasting of one red wine and one white wine, followed by a written theory exam. Then we are given a time to return for our Service exam, during which we have to open and pour a bottle of sparkling wine, suggest food and wine pairings, and walk around the room with a full tray of glasses.

Lots of interesting things can happen during the service portion: I have heard stories of out-of-control champagne bottles that parted violently from their corks and bounced off the floor, spraying wine everywhere; trays of full glasses have been dropped; fingers have been sliced open by corkscrews and foils; and wine has been spilled on Master Sommeliers.

Let's hope I don't do any of those things!

I don't have a wine to suggest today, but what I would most like to have at the moment is a Moscow Mule, a deliciously refreshing cocktail made of vodka, ginger beer and lime. The perfect study tonic!

Think of me tomorrow and send me wishes for a sharp mind, peppy taste buds and steady hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment