Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wine for Being Tipsy

My teacher added more stress to my life today when he told us that not only do we need to have wine recommendations for our service exam, we also have to be able to recommend scotch, brandy, beer and cocktails. I'm so screwed. There is only so much information I can cram into my noggin, and I feel like I reached my limit about a week ago. It's sort of like when your trash can is full, but nobody wants to be the one to take it out, so you keep pushing the trash down, compacting it so you can cram more in. That usually buys a few more days, but eventually you can compact no more, and then paper towels and apple cores start overflowing. I imagine that the next time I try to drink a glass of wine it will just come oozing out my ears. Either that or each new fact I try to stuff in there will simply force an old one out.

In response to my stress, I did what any sane person would do: I picked Steve up from work and took him to a wine bar! Now it was not my intention to get tipsy, I simply wanted to avoid going home where I knew I would start to panic about how much studying I have to do. The tipsyness just sort of happened.

We ordered a glass of wine each, but then, because the bartender could spot a wine geek from a mile away, he started pouring us little tastes of other wines, and I hadn't eaten for a while, so...

This has happened to me before when I go to wine tastings. I start out fine, and before I know it, Steve has to drive home while I sit there in the front seat giggling uncontrollably at the discovery that if you combine Engelbert Humperdinck and Art Garfunkel's names you get Engelart Humperfunkel.

Today's wine is not actually a wine at all but a lambic, which is a Belgian ale flavored with fruit. The one we had in class was a Lindeman's Kriek Lambic. I must admit that this one flavored with cherry was so much like Robitussin or a Sucrette that I couldn't drink it, but I have had the Framboise one before and it is absolutely delicious. It's sort of like a raspberry soda with a beer-ey kick to it. Yummy.

I am going to take next week off from writing this blog (which I know will be very upsetting to the four of you who actually read it!), so that I can spend every spare second when I am not in class studying. I plan to return the following week to keep you current on the joys of the testing week.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Homer: Oh, and how is "education" supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and I forgot how to drive?
    Marge: That's because you were drunk!
    Homer: And how!

    ReplyDelete