Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wine for Talking, Talking and More Talking

My sister informs me that she remembers the Undies Song as follows: "Undies undies, ba-ba-bop. Undies undies, ba-ba-bop. I love undies. 'Cause undies are a ba-ba-bop." You can see the subtle nuances and differences in the two versions. My version is perhaps a bit more aggressive, accusing another person of looking like a bop bop bop, whereas my sister's version is all about loving the undies for their very ba-ba-bop-ish-ness. Interesting...very interesting.

Now as you have probably noticed, I am having a little trouble keeping these posts short, and I apologize for that. I'm a talker, what can I say? I like to talk, and that seems to also translate to my blogging world. It's always been a bit of an issue, my talking. In elementary school, my teachers all basically said the same thing to my parents: nice girl, but can't seem to shut her trap. I'm sure they didn't use those words exactly, but that was the drift. Though as I remember, I seemed to have two modes: Chatty Cathy, or Daydreamer. I know I spent many a school hour when I wasn't yapping away or singing, staring out the window. I can only assume I was thinking about how undies are a ba-ba bop and how much I loved them for it.

I come by the chattiness honestly. My mother is a talker. She LOVES to talk. She will talk with you, to you, and over you. So great is her love of talking, that she often can't restrain herself from chiming in long before you have actually finished your sentence. Talking with my mom can sometimes feel a bit like being on Jeopardy or something, with my mother as the slightly out-of-breath contestant, hand poised over the buzzer, just waiting to jump in with the right answer.

So a conversation might go something like this: Me: "I wanted to go get a--" My mother: "Car?!! Tetanus shot?!! Oompa-Loompa??!!!!" Most of the time she has no idea what it is you're trying to say, but she just can't stop herself from throwing out at least three different options before actually letting you finish what you were saying. And though this can certainly get--("Exciting??!! Upsetting??!!! Badminton??!!!!")--annoying, there is no doubting her interest and enthusiasm.

So in honor of being both chatty and enthusiastic, let's share a glass of (water??!!! Milk??!!! Yoo Hoo??!!) Tikal "Patriota" Mendoza 2008. This is a really unusual red wine since it is a blend of two of Argentina's most important grapes, Malbec and Bonardo. It is a beautiful garnet, purple color, with an amazing nose of raspberries, blueberries, wintergreen, sandalwood, bramble, allspice and chocolate. It's bold without being too overpowering, and at $23 a bottle, it's worth a ("fortune??!!! penguin??!!! potato??!!") try.

1 comment: